Spanish police have confirmed that the person who was “shot down” in a town near Barcelona is Younes Abouyaaqoub, the main suspect of a deadly van attack last week.
Police shot Abouyaaqoub, who was wearing a fake explosives belt, near Subirats, west of Barcelona, on Monday after being alerted to the presence of a suspicious man.
Abouyaaqoub had been the focus of an extensive manhunt after authorities said he used a van to mow down pedestrians in Barcelona’s famous Las Ramblas promenade on Thursday, killing 13 people and injuring more than 120 others.
Police also said he stabbed a driver to death and hijacked his car on Thursday night in his getaway.
Al Jazeera’s Sonia Gallego, reporting from Barcelona, said that a female resident of Subirats had tipped off police, after spotting a man who was acting suspiciously.
Spanish police search home of missing imam linked to Barcelona attack
As they approached the man in question, he reportedly lifted his shirt to show an explosive belt, prompting police to shoot him.
Abouyaaqoub, 22, has been the target of an extensive manhunt.
Earlier on Monday, authorities had said they now had evidence that he drove the van that plowed down the Las Ramblas promenade.
“He was the only person who was still at large and had been a prime person of suspect,” Al Jazeera’s Gallego said.
The other suspects in a cell of 12 people thought to be behind the attack have been arrested, shot by police or killed in an explosion at a house in Catalonia a day before Thursday’s van attack.
The attack in Barcelona was linked to another outburst of violence hours later in the resort down of Cambrils, further down the Mediterranean coastline from Barcelona.
A car crashed into passers-by there and attackers reportedly got out to tried and stab people. Five suspects were shot dead, while a Spanish woman died in the attack.
Why does Europe continue to be a ‘terrorist’ target? – Inside Story
Source: Al Jazeera and news agencies