OLD WESTBURY, N.Y. — After recently debating whether to shut himself down for the year due to injury, Rory McIlroy told ESPN on Tuesday that he is planning to play five more tournaments before taking a 3?-month break. “I’m OK to play these next four out of five weeks,” McIlroy said, “but then I do need a prolonged period off at some point in 2017 to be ready for 2018.” A week and a half ago, McIlroy concluded a 22nd-place finish at the PGA Championship by telling reporters that he was unsure whether a recurring rib injury would preclude him from competing again in the near future. It is the same injury that caused him to miss more than a month on two occasions earlier this year. He also revealed after the PGA Championship that he was enduring spasms and numbness in his left arm. McIlroy answered part of the mystery Friday when he committed to this week’s Northern Trust event, the first of four FedEx Cup playoff tournaments, and revealed the rest of the puzzle…

Read More At Article Source | Article Attribution