Author: Editor - World News

Raid Al Salhi dies after Israeli raid at Dheisheh camp

A 21-year-old Palestinian man has died from his wounds weeks after being shot by Israeli soldiers at a refugee camp in the occupied West Bank, said the head of prisoners’ affairs for the Palestinian Authority. Raed al-Salhi, who died on Sunday, was critically injured on August 9 when Israeli troops tried to arrest him during a pre-dawn raid at the Dheisheh refugee camp in Bethlehem. Issa Qaraqe, who leads the Palestinian Committee for Prisoners’ Affairs, called Salhi’s death a “war crime” as he claimed the victim was shot at least five times. “The young man died after being shot at close...

Read More

Merkel leading polls over Schulz after televised debate

Three weeks before elections, Angela Merkel appeared to be heading for a possible fourth term as chancellor of Germany, after her rival Martin Schulz failed to halt her advance in a crucial televised debate. Sunday’s TV clash had been touted as Schulz’s last chance to sway millions to his cause and halt a devastating popularity slide. But polls following the 90-minute showdown gave Merkel, leader of the Christian Democratic Party (CDP) since 2000, a clear edge over Schulz, a former European Parliament chief and leader of the Social Democratic Union Party of Germany (SDP). “Merkel came out as sure,...

Read More

Iran upholds 10-year jail terms for three Americans

An Iranian court has upheld 10-year jail terms for an American, two US-Iranian dual nationals and a Lebanese resident of the US who were convicted on charges of spying and collaboration against the state.  Tehran’s prosecutor’s office confirmed on Sunday that the four men’s appeals had been rejected. Prosecutor Abbas Jafari Dolatabadi identified the four as Princeton University student Xiyue Wang, Iranian-American businessman Siamak Namazi and his elderly father Baquer and Nizar Zakka, a Lebanese citizen with permanent US residency, the judiciary’s official news website reported. Jared Genser, a US-based lawyer for the Namazis, said in a statement carried...

Read More

S Korea responds to North’s test with military drills

South Korea has carried out a missile drill meant to “strongly warn” North Korea over its sixth nuclear test, military officials said.    The military training involved long-range air-to-surface missiles and ballistic missiles, South Korea’s joint chiefs of staff said in a statement early on Monday. The drill was carried out by only the Korean military, but more are being prepared with the US forces in South Korea, the statement said. READ MORE: All the latest updates on the North Korea tensions According to state news agency Yonhap, “the training came in response to the North’s sixth nuclear test …...

Read More

Mattis warns N Korea of ‘massive military response’

The US will launch a “massive military response” to any threats from North Korea, Secretary of Defense James Mattis said after Pyongyang conducted its most powerful nuclear test yet.  North Korea’s 6th nuclear test “Any threat to the United States or its territories, including Guam, or our allies will be met with a massive military response, a response both effective and overwhelming,” Mattis told reporters on Sunday. He added: “Kim Jong-un should take heed of the United Nations Security Council’s unified voice. All members unanimously agreed on the threat North Korea poses and remain unanimous in their commitment to...

Read More