Improve Your Skin with Natural Herbs and Foods
Perfect skin is something everybody dreams of having. However, it’s often a struggle to maintain smooth, flawless skin when the sun’s beating down and drying you out. The good news is that there are plenty of natural herbal and food-based solutions that can help you fight aging and reclaim the skin you once had.
Try These 4 Natural Herbs and Foods
Food is the best medicine in the world. It’s been used for centuries to promote healing and heal sickness. If you want to improve your skin quality and health, then the best thing you can do is consume a healthy diet that works from the inside out.
Here are a few natural herbs and foods you should try:
- Frequently referred to as one of nature’s miracles, chamomile has a number of incredible benefits. Improved quality of skin is one of these benefits. Applying a cool cup of chamomile tea as a face wash or putting tea bags directly onto the skin reduces the appearance of wrinkles and lines by speeding up the skin’s natural healing process. Chamomile also has anti-inflammatory and anti-irritant properties.
- Collagen-based herbal remedies. As you likely know, collagen is a protein responsible for the tendons, cartilage and skin in the body. By consuming collagen-based remedies – such as collagen with hyaluronic acid or collagen peptide – you can enjoy a number of skin benefits.
- Aloe vera. One of the most common natural skin solutions is aloe vera. While you can purchase aloe vera products at your local supermarket, it’s better to purchase the plant itself. You can then break the leaves in half and apply the gel directly to the skin. Men use it to rehydrate after shaving, while women benefit from putting it on prior to applying makeup.
- Most people are familiar with lavender and the relaxing benefits it provides when mixed into tea and ointment, but did you know it’s also an extremely powerful skincare product? Lavender contains an ingredient called linalool, which prevents tissue degeneration and wrinkles. Lavender also encourages new skin cell growth.
While there are plenty of commercial skincare products, why not promote healthy skin the natural way? These are just four possible solutions you can try. Dozens more exist.
A Few Other Healthy Tips
In addition to consuming the right foods and nutrients, you also need to care for your skin.
Here are a few other tips to keep in mind:
- Think twice before washing. Have you ever considered the quality and type of water you’re washing your face with at night? Soft water doesn’t do a great job of removing soap and other residues, while hard water doesn’t let washes lather very well. Get to know your water and how it interacts with your skincare products. Washing with distilled water may be the best solution.
- Keep stress in check. Stress takes a major toll on your entire body – skin included. When you’re stressed, your body increases its production of hormones like cortisol, which leave the skin oily and bacteria-prone. By practicing stress management and dealing with the root causes of stress early on, you can noticeably improve the quality of your skin.
- Stay hydrated. Finally, it’s important that you stay hydrated. While water won’t perk your skin up like it does in a plant’s leaves, it will push out toxins and leave your skin better moisturized. High water intake is especially important for people who have naturally dry skin.
Healthy skin is equal parts genetics and healthy lifestyle choices. With summer right around the corner, it’s imperative that you’re prepared.
Keep these tips in mind and begin consuming a diet that’s high in the aforementioned herbs and foods.