As a part of human nature, we’d say, most of us leave that extra space in our travel bags when going on a vacation to bring back gifts and souvenirs for everyone. We plan in advance about what we’re going to do on our vacation. But do we ever plan to healthy vacation?
While the sheer meaning of a vacation is to relax, rejuvenate, dig into those oh-so-lip-smacking food items, chug some beers with your gang and explore the place, it’s equally important to pay attention to your health. We’re certainly not recommending hitting the gym even when you’re on a vacation, but planning in advance some smart hacks to stay healthy when you travel.
- Make Exercise a Fun Activity
When on a vacation, opt for activities that are naturally aerobic. For instance, go on a hiking adventure, walk along the beach, swim for a while, or rent a bicycle. The best part? Every destination across the world has its own draw. For example, if you’re travelling to Thailand, you can indulge into some amazing water activities such as sail boarding, diving, swimming, boating and parasailing and so on. In the evening, hit a local bar and dance your heart out.
If you’re one of those who simply love working out in the gym, then book an accommodation which has its own personal gymnasium or one near its location. Some gyms also allow you to use their services on a daily basis. This means that you only have to pay for the days you work out.
- Add Spa to Your Wellness Plan
What’s better than indulging in a wellness retreat in the city that you’re visiting – relax, enjoy and explore the magnetism of the place. Look for a good spa center in your vicinity and pamper yourself. A spa treatment not only allows you to distress, but relaxes your muscles and eases out your body aches and pains as well. Most destinations across the globe have their own spa culture. So, don’t forget to discover them.
- Enjoy Binging with any Guilt
For most of us, travel simply means binging into the local delicacies of that particular place and pampering ourselves. While it’s a good habit to adhere to a strict diet, even when you’re travelling (to stay fit and healthy), once in a while, allowing yourself to discover something new, innovative and delicious should be allowed. For as quoted by a wise man, “travelling without trying new food items is like missing out on a huge part of the experience and local culture.”
But at the same time, filling yourself up on food and snacks during the day, in the evening and at night means overeating. Here, opting for healthier choices throughout the day is the key to staying fit and healthy. Try and eat something light and better while you take in the sights and sounds and if binge into delights either in the morning before you leave for your day’s excursion or at night, once you’re back. Think of it like this – 80% your food should be healthy, comprising of high fiber and lean proteins, and 20% of your food can be a treat for your belly!
- Pack with Health in Mind
Packing bags for your vacation must be more than just those party clothes or swimwear. Keep your health in mind as well. Pack things that help your body stay strong and going. Add sun block to your list of things to pack along with protective clothing to prevent severe sunburns. Consider your destination of travel and whether or not you’ll need to carry an insect repellent. Pack a first aid box, which has all the necessary medicines such as for headache, upset stomach, indigestion, antiseptic hand wipes sanitizer, basic first aid supplies, etc. Bring along everything that helps in keeping you from falling sick.
- Be Mindful Throughout your Vacation
Travelling can often take a toll on both, your mind and body, especially if you’re crossing time-zones, changing altitudes, or travelling to a place that remains bustled with a lot of people with varying states of health. It is therefore important to take necessary precautionary measures to stay fit when travelling.
- Don’t forget to eat – When on a vacation, most of us stay hungry (unintentionally) for long stretches of time, soaking in the magnetism of the place and making the most of our time there. Avoid such long pauses. Carry along some healthy snacks and give your body the energy it needs to keep going.
- Stay Hydrated – Keeping yourself hydrated is the first and the foremost key to staying active and healthy when on a vacation. Avoid having a lot of caffeinated and alcoholic drinks while traveling as they increase dehydration, which further can cause the onset of severe headaches and tiredness. If you do have a couple of drinks while enjoying with your gang, make sure to drink a lot of water as well. This will help you keep hydrated and avoid feeling sick the next morning.
- Prepare your digestive and immune systems – Before you leave for your vacation, make sure to prepare your body for the upcoming excursion. Eat probiotics at least three days before your date of travel. Make sure to sleep for at least eight hours every night, three days before you travel.
- Give yourself a break once you’re back from your vacation – Most of us feel jaded after a great vacation comes to an end. Rushing back into work and routine life becomes a bit hard for the body and hence, it’s a good idea to give you a day’s break. This allows you to catch up on the day-to-day chores such as laundry and other things that you normally do.
Bottom line, staying fit and healthy on a vacation not only allows you to enjoy yourself during the entire travel experience, but also bring back positive memories.