At least 32,000 civilians have been displaced since the beginning of the battle for Tripoli [File: Ahmed Jadallah/Reuters]

The death toll from ongoing fighting between rival Libyan forces in the capital Tripoli has risen to 264, the World Health Organization (WHO) said, three weeks into an offensive launched by renegade military commander Khalifa Haftar.

Some 1,266 people have also been wounded since the beginning of the battle between Haftar’s Libyan National Army (LNA) and forces loyal to the government earlier this month, Tariq Jarasevic, WHO spokesperson, told reporters on Tuesday. 

The clashes, which have raised fears of worsening an already-bad conflict in Libya, began after Haftar, ordered his forces to seize Tripoli from the UN-recognised rival Government of National Accord (GNA) on April 4.

Although Haftar

Read More At Article Source | Article Attribution