The Malian government on Wednesday sacked the governor of the central Mopti region following a village massacre in which dozens of people died, amid reports of renewed fighting between ethnic tribes.
Three days of national mourning would also be held “in homage to the victims of the terrorist attack perpetrated on June 10, 2019 against the population of Sobane Da village,” President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita said in a statement read out on public television.
“Drawing lessons from this tragedy, the cabinet had dismissed Mopti’s regional governor,” General Sidi Alassane Toure added in the statement.
Twenty-four of the dead were children, the government said earlier in a statement which added that six people had been detained “following routine checks”.
Fresh fighting believed to be between the Fulani and