The family of a teenager with a dairy allergy who died after he unwittingly ate buttermilk in a burger restaurant have called for a change in the law.

Owen Carey ordered grilled chicken at Byron burger at the O2 Arena in London while celebrating his 18th birthday.

He told staff about his allergy but was not told the meal included buttermilk.

After a coroner ruled he was not told about allergens that led to his death, Mr Carey’s family said the current policy left too much room for error.

Speaking outside Southwark Coroner’s Court, Mr Carey’s sister Emma Kocher said her brother’s death should not have happened.

Media playback is unsupported on your device

She said the family wanted something good to come out of their loss

Read More At Article Source | Article Attribution