Work to clean up a hospital bacteria outbreak inadvertently led to more contamination, new documents reveal.
Brain surgery was postponed at Edinburgh’s Western General in March after a small number of patients contracted the Pseudomonas aeruginosa bug from showers and taps in a ward.
A decontamination programme was ordered by NHS Lothian.
But documents released by health watchdogs show this work is believed to have caused further problems.
Health Protection Scotland (HPS) papers show a shower in the hospital’s department of clinical neurosciences twice tested negative for the bacteria following the outbreak, and patients were allowed to keep using it.
But later tests on the shower were positive for Pseudomonas aeruginosa – a common bacteria that can