First Presbyterian Church will mark its 150th anniversary this year.
In 1870 at the urgent invitation of Pueblo pioneer rancher, John Irvine, the missionary Rev. Sheldon Jackson was transported from Colorado City (now Colorado Springs) to Pueblo aboard an ox driven wagon to start a church in Pueblo. After a door-to-door survey by Jackson, and his finding a meeting place in the county’s courthouse, he established his first western Presbyterian church on Feb. 27, 1870, in Pueblo.
Jackson eventually would establish over 100 churches, 31 presbyteries and six synods traveling almost 1 million miles. Most notably Jackson’s accomplishments include becoming the first general superintendent of education for Alaska from 1885-1908 and laying the foundation for Alaska to become a state. His advocacy for Alaska was