June 15, 2020
Exactly 164 years, to the day, that the cornerstone was laid for Cornell’s College Hall (July 4, 1856), crews will place the final stone on a large update to the building.
The college is reinforcing the foundation of College Hall by replacing the original stone lintels (the master stone that resides just above the lower level windows) that have cracked.
At the same time, College Hall (1857) and Old Sem (1853), the college’s two original buildings, are becoming more energy-efficient thanks to the installation of more than 150 new windows. Teams of contractors have been spending May and June replacing windows.
“This is a really neat adventure, having the capacity to preserve these beautiful structures and to understand the historic value of