YouTube just announced that channels publishing “false claims” about the U.S. presidential election will be penalized with a strike, which would temporarily suspend them from posting videos.
If you’re wondering why it took this long, YouTube announced last month (a full month after the presidential election, but right after the “safe harbor” deadline for audits and recounts) that it would remove videos alleging widespread fraud or errors in the election. However, there was a grace period during which videos would be removed without additional penalty to the account.
YouTube says that grace period was supposed to expire on January 21, after Inauguration Day. But since the election results were certified early this morning, after a pro-Trump mob stormed the Capitol, the Google-owned video platform says