Top Philippines court rejects final bid to stop Marcos presidency

by | Jun 28, 2022 | World

Supreme Court dismisses attempts to quash President-elect Ferdinand Marcos Jr’s landslide election victory.The Philippines Supreme Court has rejected a final bid to disqualify President-elect Ferdinand Marcos from last month’s election, clearing the way for his inauguration later this week and the return to rule of the country’s most famous dynasty.
Marcos, 64, the son and namesake of the notorious dictator overthrown in a 1986 “people power” uprising, won the May 9 election in a landslide and will be sworn in on Thursday for a six-year term.
“The court held that in the exercise of its power to decide the present controversy led them to no other conclusion but that respondent Marcos Jr is qualified to run for and be elected to public office,” the court said in a statement on Tuesday.
Activists had appealed to the court to overturn the election commission’s dismissal of their petitions, which sought the disqualification of Marcos before the ballot because of his decades-old tax violations, which they argued made him ineligible to run.
Thirteen justices voted to dismiss the petitions, while two did not take part, the court said.
The Marcos camp did not immediately respond to a request for comment, but has previously rejected the petitions as attempts to hobble his campaign.
Opponents of the Marcos family have been outraged by …

Article Attribution | Read More at Article Source

Share This