What do you do after a minor car accident?

by | Jan 31, 2019 | Jobs Featured

You may have been involved in a minor car crash or, as they are commonly known, a “fender bender.” This type of accident generally does not involve any injuries. However, the fact that it is minor, does not mean there won’t be stress or inconveniences to your daily life. Also, the fact that they may be small, does not mean they will be inexpensive or quick to be fixed.

What Are Some Examples Of A Minor Car Accident?

  • When you bump into another car while backing out of a parking spot.
  • When the light turns green and you hit the rear fender of the car ahead of you.
  • When someone at a 4-way stop intersection fails to stop.

Can There Be Damages?

Even though these accidents are considered minor and there are no human injuries, they still do result in property damages. These may be a fender that gets bent, a scrape or paint scratches on the body of your car.

How Should You Proceed In These Types Of Crashes?

A smart first step is to exchange contact information with the driver of the other car. You should also find out if they have insurance and what kind. Even if the damage is less than $1,000 you may still want to reach out to the authorities in cases when the other driver does not seem to want to cooperate or if you suspect the other driver may not carry any insurance.

Do These Accidents Need To Be Reported To The Police?

In the state of Florida, the law requires that you report an accident in instances where an individual (whether it’s a driver, passenger, pedestrian or cyclist) is injured or when a life is lost. As far as material properties, damages that exceed $500 must be reported.

This report should be done as soon as possible, through the fastest and most direct form of communication. The first authority to be contacted should be the municipal police. If that is not possible, the report should be filed at the nearest station of the Florida Highway Patrol.

If a formal investigation is carried out after you have reported the accident to the proper authority, there is no need to file a written report. But if no investigation of the accident is performed, you have 10 days following the accident (as the driver) to file a written report with the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.

It’s Always A Good Idea To Report The Accident To Your Insurance Carrier

Even when the accident is minor and the law does not require that you report it, it is a good idea to let your auto insurance company know what has just happened. If you fail to report a reportable accident to your insurer within a couple of days of the event, coverage for any damage due to the accident may be denied. Avoid any unnecessary headaches and reach out to Friedland & Associates today.

If you have suffered property damage in a minor car accident, call your personal injury attorney in Fort Lauderdale to receive a free consultation today. They will resolve all your questions and help you deal with your insurance as well as with filing a claim.

Share This