Where Should You Turn If You Have an Issue at Work?

by | Nov 17, 2020 | Jobs Featured

When you encounter a serious issue at work, it can be difficult to know where to go. Most of the time, issues are limited to simple disagreements or instances of failed communication between colleagues – sometimes, however, they can be something much more serious, like harassment or discrimination.

No matter how alone you might feel, there are several places you can go to ensure that you are able to get the resolution you are searching for.

Your Line Manager

The first person you should turn to should be your line manager. They are responsible for you at work, and they might have the power and understanding needed to deal with the issue at hand. What’s more, if your grievance is with a colleague, they might already understand something of the situation, having seen parts of it play out before.

Therefore, they should be someone that you are happy to talk to if you have an issue. They might be able to offer a reasonable solution that will resolve things without you having to have look for help higher. It can be intimidating to approach your manager when you have an issue, but it is very much the first step.


The next step would be a HR representative, if your company has one. Human resources are supposed to look after the employees and the way things work within the company. As a result, you can often find that they will be able to help you out with any enquiry you might have.

Going to them can also open more formal proceedings than you might get with a manager. A manager might want to deal with your issue informally to minimise disruption to the team (something you may or may not be happy to see depending on your situation), but a good HR department will want to open a formal enquiry. If you have a serious complaint, heading here might be a good idea.

Employment Solicitors

If you think you aren’t going to get a satisfactory response from anyone within your company, or you want to open legal proceedings, you might want to speak to an employment lawyer like those at www.springhouselaw.com.

Employment lawyers specialise in these sorts of issues, and can offer a wealth of understanding, professionalism and discretion as they help you to prepare and file your case. If you have your suspicions that a case would be swept under the rug if dealt internally, choosing to head to an employment tribunal should always be your next thought. Your employment solicitor will act as your representation here, and they will do their best to bring you a satisfactory conclusion to the case.

These are your three main points of call if you are having issues at work. Never be afraid to stand up to any injustice you might be facing. Though you can easily be left feeling isolated and alone in the workplace, there is always going to be someone you can turn to who will help deliver the resolution to the problem that you need. If you have an issue, you should reach out to someone soon.

Image: Pixabay

Share This